I have not used this method personally but it seems to be good. Here is some information that you may find useful. I found the sequencing of their steps useful to use with Ethan.
WHOLE WORD RECOGNITION – FLASH CARDS METHOD
Tested & proven as an effective home-teaching programme worldwide.
WORDS HAVE MEANING, ALPHABETS DON’T
Recognising word straight away is more fun and effective. Words can be pictured and make sense, children can relate them to everyday experiences.
A STEP-BY-STEP FLASH CARDS TEACHING PROGRAMME
To help children towards reading independently.
Age: From birth to 3 months old – Visual Stimulation
STEP 0 : BLACK & WHITE VISUALS
Age: From 4 months old onwards – Word Reading
STEP 1 : SINGLE WORDS
STEP 2 : COUPLETS
STEP 3 : PHRASES
STEP 4 : SENTENCES
STEP 5 : READING A BOOK
STEP 6 : ALPHABETS, CREATIVE WRITING, STROKE SEQUENCE
- The gift of literacy-reading skill & natural love for books
- Develop good command of the language-speak & read
- Stimulates & develops the brain
- Enhances family bonding
- Prepares your child to enjoy formal schooling
- The gift of literacy – reading skill